Clean up currently available lexicons

I noticed the same colonization of Oshikwanyama, which is the correct name of the language spoken by Ovakwanyama.

@tiwane @kueda @jwidness

1, Perhaps the list of acceptable language names in English could be made consistent with the list created by the website ethnologue
https://www.ethnologue.com/methodology/#LangId

1. There may be a need to split Ndebele into Ndebele (Zimbabwe) and Ndebele (South Africa) as distinct languages. If this were to be done then Ndebele, without its country of origin would need to be dropped to prevent duplication.

3 There are still duplicates to resolve.
Language experts may need to be consulted or perhaps the ethnologue website could be used for guidance.

1. Sepedi and Sotho (Northern)

2. Swati and Swazi

3 Lozi and Silozi
Triplicates,
1 Ru kwangali ( a mistake I’m sure)
Rukwangali and Kwangali
Perhaps a language expert from Namibia should be consulted to find out which is prefered.
2 Mbukushu, Hambukushu, Thimbukushu
I think a local person or persons from the Okavango area should select which language name is preferred from these three.

Another oddity perhaps
5 Indigenous Australian
Should this be an acceptable language ? If it is, then why dont we just have Indigenous European to cover all European languages !!!

Thank you

2 Likes

What is the background? Is this a case of “native” names documented by early explorers who didn’t record the name of the language? Are there extinct Australian languages that might have left behind organism names, but the names of the languages themselves may be unknown?

1 Like

I’m going to close this, as the feature requested has been implemented. If further discussion is warranted, please discuss in General. If there’s a bug, make a post in Bug Reports.

2 Likes