Creative Common licensed photos not loading (AT&T)

@bouteloua that link does not delineate the steps, and the interface is anything but intuitive, so screenshots are essential. Here are the steps with screenshots:

1. On your smart phone, open SmartHomeManager (SHM). It will test your network for a while and then display the home screen, perhaps like this:

2. Notice the icon I circled in red at upper right, the one that looks to me like it’s for starting a chat? It isn’t. Click it. When you do, SHM will take you to the Message center, where it displays all the messages you have received from SmartHomeManager or its companion app, AT&T ActiveArmor:

3. Notice all the “Website Blocked” messages? You’ve probably been getting messages on your smart phone worded just as cryptically as those. Click one of the messages to get more information. Here’s what the details message looks like, with the first message magnified to make it easier to read:

4. The other boxed items are the URL that was blocked—in this case, https://inaturalist-open-data.s3.amazonaws.com/ —and a button reading Allow Access. Click the button, and when you get the inevitable “Are you sure?” message, answer with a yes. The details screen will update, replacing the Allow Access button with a message that begins This website has been allowed:

5. The problem is now solved. At least it was for me. Something that is interesting to me is that when I fixed the problem I did it through a message that did not mention my MBP (MacBook Pro) because it was about an instance that occurred on Safari iOS—that is, on my iPhone. I went through the steps again as shown above because I thought that surely I would have to approve the site for each device. Nope. Even though it took me through the steps shown above, the problem was already fixed on my MBP. I had already opened iNaturalist on it to confirm that going through the process device by device was essential, but all photos were already displaying properly on it.

6. OK, back to that Access Allowed message I showed in step 4: at the bottom, Security exceptions is a link. Click it. SHM will take you to this screen:

I wish I had captured this list before. It had told me that no exceptions had been added. I had already figured that out.

Last night, I got to the Exceptions screen this way (no screenshots, because it’s easy to follow, for one thing, and it doesn’t get the job done, for another):

1. On the SHM home screen, I clicked Settings (the gear icon at lower right).
  2. On the Settings screen, I clicked AT&T ActiveArmor.
  3. On the AT&T ActiveArmor screen, I clicked Security exceptions.
  4. Because I had not yet added any exceptions, the Security exceptions screen gave me a message to that effect—and no explanation of how to do that, and no link to follow to either find that information or get it done. As in the image shown in step 6 above, the only way out of that screen is the arrow at top right pointing back. And that’s a “Back” button, not a link. In other words, when reached as described in this series of steps, it takes you back to the AT&T ActiveArmor screen, where there is no way to add an exception or even get more information—but when reached as described in the first set of steps above, it takes you back to the Message center, which you had already stumbled upon as the way to get it done. Helpful, right?

@arthurmacmillan, @roy_cohutta, @tatejack, and anyone else I might have missed, I hope those steps work for you. So far I have been able to see every photo that had been blocked last night.

AT&T: We make the easy impossible.

7 Likes