Favourite/Recommend movies and documentaries on Nature

Not much out there as far as “movies” go. Here’s one I can think of offhand:
Never Cry Wolf - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086005/

On the other hand, there’s plenty of documentaries with stunning footage. One of my faves:
Microcosmos - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117040/

Enjoy.

1 Like

They both work. Edited name and text. Thanks :blush:.

Will check it out!

Nobody has mentioned Attenborough’s Life on Earth? For shame. Best nature documentary to date, and possibly forever more. Attenborough in his prime, himself physically present in almost every location as he explains more than narrates. Came at the golden age of video, when the technology was good enough for a great image, but not good enough to even attempt silly CGI. If it’s real, he shows you himself. If it’s theoretical, it’s obviously a drawing.

6 Likes

Thanks for recommending!

Flight of the Butterflies. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/flight_of_the_butterflies
Jane (by National Geographic). https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jane

1 Like

Added!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I am trying to compile a list of good films that feature nature in a beautiful or interesting way. If you have any favorites to recommend, please do!

Wild

Grizzly Man

127 Hours

The Impossible

Into the Wild

The Perfect Storm

Fantastic Fungi

Free Solo

Cast Away

Deliverance

Blair Witch Project

Ken Burns National Parks

Ken Burns Lewis and Clark

Buried: The 1982 Alpine Meadows Avalanche

Easy Rider

Meek’s Cutoff

The Green Planet

These came to mind!

Documentaries:
Baraka
Into the Inferno
Encounters at the End of the World
The Rescue

Dramas:
The Revenant
The Ornithologist
Fitzcarraldo

Horror:
Midsommar
The Ritual
Lamb
The Witch
The Lighthouse
A Field in England
In the Earth
Gaia
Jaws
The Lodge

Some quirky ones:
The Banshees of Inisherin
Hunt for the Wilderpeople
Troll Hunter

TV Series:
The Detectorists

1 Like

The Big Year, with Steve Martin, Jack Black, and Owen Wilson

1 Like

I moved the above three posts to this existing topic.

This is probably weird, and a different interpretation, but I do like true crime a lot and I tend to write/type down location names mentioned in any film or television program, but true crime tends to have a lot of very specific places rather than big cities, like small towns and more unheard of and/or isolated places. I enjoy seeing what different towns look like and where they are, what is unique about them, stuff like that. I also find myself feeling that those places have a lot more depth and beauty to them than if I had came across it in a different way because I’m reminded of the humanity (victim) and the lack thereof (perpetrator).

It ties in my interests of lists, learning, feeling, true crime, places and nature, because I almost always intend on going to every place on the list, and seeing the nature, but very rarely follow that through. I will still add to the list compulsively, though… That’s not to say it’s all for nothing (other than highlighting and indulging my neurodivergence). I have gone to places on the list and had great experiences and seen great things that way. There’s always nature in one way or another. If you’re looking, you will find it, no matter where you’re at.

1 Like

Agreed - A great one for this is the first season of True Detective. It was shot in rural Louisiana and is starkly beautiful in its own way. I love the desolate locations they selected…they kinda have a Texas Chainsaw Massacre vibe, but it’s such beautiful country.

1 Like

Also lots of helicopter/drone shots of various processing plants and refineries, if I remember correctly.

2 Likes

For some reason this reminded me of Breaking Bad. New Mexico is insanely beautiful. They portray it as really big and empty on the show, and a lot of it is, but it’s also full of really neat flora and fauna. They showcase the general scenery more than the living things there but still.

1 Like

I have a “hobby” of visiting filming locations for Star Wars (generally just as detours from other trips). I haven’t actually gotten to that many, but I like how it leads to out of the way places and unexpected little towns. Also a huge variety of habitats and interesting natural areas - some of my only experiences with desert habitats are from Star Wars (need to work on that…)

1 Like

I love that! I haven’t done it for Star Wars but I’ve done this for a couple shows and films. SLC Punk! spoke to me shortly after it came out, obviously, so that was one of the first times I felt the urge to do it, but it was easy because a lot of it was recognizable and I had already been there. Same deal with Buffalo '66, but it’s still fun to go with the intent to think about the film or show. Back to the Future was a big one for me.

I like to look at whatever street plants grow in the more urban or city places because I feel like they’re unknowingly part of significant history.

1 Like