Favourite/Recommend movies and documentaries on Nature

The most fascinating documentaries on plants in French, featuring their evolution and there strategies:
L’Aventure des Plantes (1982)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL85QFEnf3cy-7wkL1JvYQjZr7oCcBUIOb

TV series, somehow on our relation to nature and to the world:
Terra Nova
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Nova_(TV_series)

BTW, try to ID the plants displayed!.. Pandanus, …

Have to mention Gorillas in the Mist – for the nature, not for its portrayal of Diane Fossey, which I felt was unfair.

Prehistoric Planet was incredible. Honestly I could listen to Attenborough read his grocery list while watching the landscapes alone.

2 Likes

I’m delighted to see the interest in nature documentaries! :herb: Let’s appreciate how nature, with its calming and rejuvenating influence, can positively impact our lives.

While indulging in nature-themed films and documentaries, consider the power of the natural world to heal and inspire.

It’s heartening to observe increased awareness and discussions about important topics like the trails carolina abuse, as these conversations can lead to positive changes in how we interact with and protect both nature and one another.

Now, for some fantastic nature movie recommendations:

1. “Planet Earth” - A stunning visual journey across diverse ecosystems.
  2. “Blue Planet II” - Delve into the mysteries of the world’s oceans.
  3. “March of the Penguins” - Witness the incredible journey of Emperor penguins.
  4. “The Bear” - A captivating story of wildlife survival in the wilderness.

Enjoy these films while celebrating the beauty of nature and advocating for its responsible exploration and conservation! :tv::earth_africa::paw_prints::green_heart:

2 Likes

Just saw Birdman of Alcatraz (1962) and am adding it to the list because it tells the fascinating story of someone connecting with their inner naturalist under extremely unlikely circumstances.

Burt Lancaster and Telly Savales as budding ornithologists!

Prehistoric Planet is really cool as a spiritual successor to Walking With Dinosaurs which is also good if a little outdated

1 Like

“The Lost City of Z” with Charlie Hunnam (2017) and “Embrace of the Serpent” (2015) are beautiful (and sad) movies about the Amazon rainforest, especially “Serpent”. And as others have commented, “Prehistoric Planet” with Sir David Attenborough is great. The series has given me a new appreciation of pterosaurs – the scene in Season 1 with the Barbaridactylus chasing each other around the sky island is stunning. I remember thinking “I really, really need to visit that place so I can see it” before snapping back to present-day reality. And though there’s a lot of hypothetical material, it’s based on sound science explained in the bonus features, and gives us an appreciation for those ancient ecosystems.

Although I do find some of those types of shows questionable in terms of the life histories they imagine. I remember seeing one about Smilodon, the sabertooth cat. It portrayed them living in prides like lions. Why? That is rare among felids; I would have found it more plausible if it had portrayed them as living largely solitary lives like the majority of felids do – tigers, leopards, and jaguars are more typical of cats.

1 Like

I saw Lynx in a movie theater recently by coincidence - and was quite impressed. It’s quite sad and leaves you wondering sometimes about what you are actually seeing (I only later found out those furry cats were Felis silvestris) as the narrator stays silent for long stretches of time - but I keep thinking about it even weeks later.