"Following" a taxon

Is there a way to follow a taxon such that I would get a notification when new observations of it are posted? I have looked and not found one. The particular case I have in mind would have a very limited number of observations. However I can see that if a lot of people “follow” taxa that have large numbers of observations there could be a big load on the servers. Maybe that is why it has not been implemented?

2 Likes

Yes. Go to the homepage. On the right side, scroll down until you see subscriptions. Click Subscribe to a taxon, and enter the taxon there.

6 Likes

As you can see in this screenshot, I am subscribed to Clitoriinae, and there is a notification of new observations added to that taxon in my feed.

Thanks @Star3. How did I miss that?!

Too be fair, I missed it once too.
And just FYI, there are some limitations to the Taxon search there.

Example, I wanted to subscribe to genus Sea, a butterfly taxon.
The taxon serach in subscriptions only loads the first 31 taxon matches, and the butterfly genus isn’t in those 31. In this instance, Genus Sea is monotypic, so I got around it by adding the species Sea sophronia , but for underrepresented taxons with multiple species, adding every sub-taxon might not be a viable workaround.

[SHAMELESS PLUG: Please upvote my feature request for the taxon/place subscriptions to “show more” :grinning:: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/show-more-results-when-subscribing-to-taxon-or-place/10232 Oops, it’s been closed.]

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.