How to edit or delete an existing observation

If you have uploaded an observation to iNaturalist, you can edit after it’s been posted. However, some user are not able to find the edit screen for their observations, therefore I’ve made some quick instructions for how to do that in this tutorial.

Android

Go to the observation you want to edit. In the upper right-hand corner, you’ll see a pencil icon.

Tap on that to edit the observation. You can edit anything here on the Details screen. Click on the green checkmark (black arrow) when you’re done. To delete an observation, click on the trashcan icon (blue arrow).

iOS

Go to the observation you want to edit. In the upper right-hand corner, you’ll see “Edit”

Tap on that to edit the observation. You can edit anything here on the Details screen. Click on Done (black arrow) when you’re finished. To delete an observation, click on the red “Delete Observation” text at the bottom (blue arrow). If your device has a small screen, you may need to scroll down to see it.

Website

On the observation’s page, look on the right-hand side. You’ll see a blue Edit button with a downward-facing arrow next to it.

To delete the observation, click on the arrow next to “Edit”

Click on “Edit” to edit the observation, which will take you to this screen.

7 Likes

In particular it would be nice to have a tutorial for how to fix multi-species observations. I know I’ve seen one before, perhaps by bouteloua? But I am not finding it now.

3 Likes

This one is for the opposite problem: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/how-to-turn-multiple-observations-into-a-single-observation/9838

I should note that anyone can make a tutorial (providing you have the proper trust level on the forum) so please feel free to make them.

6 Likes