India - iNaturalist World Tour

We’re featuring on India on the World Tour today.

Here’s the GADM Level 1 and Level 2 places we’re using. Again, my usual questions about whether these administrative units are correct and widely used.

What can we do to get more people from India participating in iNaturalist?

1 Like

The Level 1 places are states and are used quite regularly. The Level 2 places are districts, these too are correct but not used as often. Cities/Towns are more commonly used.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

This fixed it.

But looks like a lot of changes required.
All of the districts of Tamilnadu (TN), are currently mapped to AP (Andhra Pradesh).
This should be modified to say “TN, IN”.
For list of districts (counties) for the state of TN, please refer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_districts_of_Tamil_Nadu

Thanks

@n1siva I moved your post here because this issue is slightly different from the one with Melagiris in your other post.
Melagiris isn’t an official district, so it can be modified by curators. The official districts are level 2 places (see Scott’s link above) imported from GADM and can only be modified by staff.

So someone on staff needs to change “AP” in each district’s Display Name to “TN”.

There’s another issue that might or might not be related – some of the Tamil Nadu districts have null slugs, causing null About links in the header search (Coimbatore, Chennai, Karur, maybe more).

Thanks. How can I reach to the ‘staff’.
Looks like the display_name needs to be fixed. The ‘code’ seems to be fine.

They check the forum, so they should see this post.

As a side note, I think I found the root cause for all these Tamil Nadu places with AP in the display name. Tamil Nadu’s code in the database is AP, so anything set to be a child of Tamil Nadu will automatically get AP added to the name.

1 Like

I think you got it. Hopefully this will reset all districts’ display_names automatically and also any future manually created names.

Hello All.
We need to change the ‘code’ to reflect as ‘IN-TN’.
How can this be done?
Thanks

A few years back the boundary of my district was changed but that change doesn’t reflect on iNat. Since that place wasn’t created by me I can’t edit it. I also read that curators can edit any location boundaries, so I request the curators to change the district maps.
District name- Kolkata and South 24 Parganas in West Bengal, India

Welcome to the forum!
I moved your post to this topic where we’re collecting geography issues for India.
Unfortunately, only staff can edit district boundaries. It’s difficult for the system to handle these large changes, so I’m not sure what the plan is for fixing them. Hopefully something can be done.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Netherlands - iNaturalist World Tour

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.