New annotations won't save on certain observations

Ah thank you! I had looked if anyone else was having the same problem but I guess I didn’t search hard enough :P Should I post these links there or leave them here?

I’ll merge these posts to that thread.

2 Likes

Yeah, looks like the same problem. I added a Male Sex annotation (which I then removed) and the Life Stage annotation showed up.

Ah ok, should I report new ones I find here or should I add and remove an annotation like that to reindex it?

It would be best if our devs coudl look at one that wasn’t “fixed” this way, so please don’t do anything to them at the moment. I’ll see if we can look at them today.

1 Like

OK, we think this has to do witih immediate reindexing not happening when an annotation is added and we’ll take a further look. We don’t need to keep any more of these “unfixed” so you can force them to reindex if you want by faving and unfaving or adding and removing a vote in the Data Quality Assessment.

3 Likes

Kk! Sounds great :)

Same thing with this observation: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/106880046

Here’s another one, two annotations save and two doesn’t. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/116168232
So, would be nice to see fix of it.

Platform: Website

Browser: Opera

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/168784073

Screenshots of what you are seeing:
Peek 2023-06-27 12-17

Description of problem: In the specific linked annotation (and nowhere else that I can tell) selecting the “Alive or Dead” annotation seems to submit a value, but have it rejected for some reason; a 400 error is shown in the console.

Edit: Forgot to specify, this has been happening since the day I put it up, so almost a week by now.

is there more text that accompanies this error code? there are several reasons that may correspond with this code, and it might be useful to know what the error reason was in addition to the error code.

are you having the problem only on this particular observation? are you able to add other annotations (ex. life stage) to this observation?

I tried again to confirm Life stage also doesn’t work. Obviously Evidence of Organism worked originally though.

Not a lot of info given:

Screenshot from 2023-06-27 12-52-43

This is the POST payload (for Life Stage):

it’s possible that the annotations are already stored in the system but that the system isn’t showing them. try making another change to the observation. for example, go to the Data Quality Assessment section, and click the thumbs up on the Data is Accurate item. this could trigger the observation to be updated and indexed, which could cause hidden annotations to be revealed.

1 Like

This happens to me constantly. They usually reappear ~5 seconds later but sometimes not at all. I just click them again. Usually it’s the new photos that I have just added to an observation that give me the hardest time. They do the exact same thing but tend to take twice as long to disappear and reappear.

I have noted this as well on a few of my obs
" Evidence of Presence" https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/166657233 & https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/11099265 & https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/11088011
“Alive or Dead” & “Evidence of Presence” https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/11114799
Some of these obs have been on for a few years already. I tried again now and still not accepting it.

since you had several of these, i updated the first of these by modifying one of the Data Quality Assessment items, and now the Evidence of Presence annotation is displayed.

Ok, so that does suggest it’s stored but not shown. It’s also not accessible to the search though (I still get this obvs when looking for stuff that is missing the Alive or Dead annotation in Identify).

right. because the index is not updated to reflect the actual contents of the database.

but if you do what i suggested to update the observation, it should also update the index. have you already tried this?

It probably would fix it - since I’m not in a rush with it I just thought I’d leave it be for now in case it helps developers debug what can cause the index to get out of sync. Although it’s probably just mostly random and not something about the specific observation.

i think this is a well-known issue that unfortunately is not easy to debug because it’s not known how to reliably reproduce the situation. i doubt that leaving your particular observation the way it is is going to help developers research the problem any better, but it’s up to you if you want to leave it the way it is.

here’s a related bug report (which moderators might want to merge this one into): https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/life-stage-annotation-not-saving-on-specific-observation/24021