New functionality added to Identify and Upload Pages

On the web uploader page, if any of your observations are missing important content like date, location, or identification, they’ll now be marked with a red outline. This should make them easier to find after you click “Go Back” to fix them. Each field that’s missing data will also be shaded red. Once the fields have data, the red will be removed.

And in the Identify modal, you can now add observations to traditional projects under the Annotations tab. This should work exactly the way it does on regular observation detail pages. We’ve also retained the layout of observation detail pages, so that from top to bottom it goes Annotations, Projects, and Observation Fields. If you already have an Identify page open, you’ll have to refresh it to see this update.

If you see any bugs, please make a topic in Bug Reports.

94 Likes

This is so awesome! Very glad to be able to add observations to projects while identifying.

18 Likes

A big win for identifiers!

14 Likes

Fantastic! Two excellent additions

6 Likes

This is great!!

3 Likes

This is extremely helpful. Is it possible keyboard shortcuts for the projects and observation fields boxes may be added in the future, since they already exist for the other annotations? It would be very nice to be able to set up a keyboard macro to automatically select the boxes and input a field/project. I’ve experimented with using the tab key to do this, but since the number of times you’d have to press tab to reach a certain box varies by the amount of annotations already added, it doesn’t seem very feasible. The same goes for moving the mouse automatically but those generally tend to work poorly too.

3 Likes

I generally don’t like improvements, which range from “Not something I care about” to “New! Improved! Worse!” These look potentially useful, though. A tentative thank you to you all.

11 Likes

Would it be possible to make these fields collapsible? I use Observation Fields more frequently than Projects (at least from the Identify page), but for example this observation has 13 projects to scroll through before I reach the Observation Fields:

On the observation page there is a nice collapsible menu that keeps its collapsed/uncollapsed state between observations that can be easily toggled:

18 Likes

I never knew this was sticky…thanks for letting us know!

2 Likes

Rejoice!

Thank you for this stupendous development.

I concur with @matthew_connors - the easiest way to resolve this would be to have a keyboard shortcut to observation fields and projects!

3 Likes

great addition, I always found it a hassle to add a id to a project post ID
Thanks all

2 Likes

Im a big fan of projects so I love this addition! :)

2 Likes

I think collapsability and new keyboard shortcuts would be great. We’ll take a look into adding those.

13 Likes

this is a great improvement! I was recently whining to myself about this feature being needed - and now it exists! no more carefully reviewing every observation for date and lat/long!

Loved using the new features while identifying BioBlitz observations this past weekend - thanks!
Unfortunately didn’t see any bugs :)

2 Likes

Made a Github issue for collapsibility and keyboard shortcuts: https://github.com/inaturalist/inaturalist/issues/3998

4 Likes

Alright, the sections are now collapsible and we’ve added two keyboard shortcuts: SHIFT + P puts focus on the Projects field and SHIFT + F puts focus on the Observation Fields field. Dropdown menu suggestions will appear as well once focus is on the field.

If a section is collapsed and you use a keyboard shortcut that puts focus on something in that section, the section will open up. Collapsibility is “sticky” on the Identify page, so if you collapse something in Identify, it will stay collapsed on the Identify page until you open it up on the Identify page.

15 Likes

Both of these look like they will be extremely useful, and I have already gotten some usage out of little red box. Thank you!!!

1 Like

Absolutely wonderful! Thank you so much!

1 Like