Noms de mammifères français sont maintenant ajoutés / Names of mammals from French-speaking countries have been added

Français:

Toutes les espèces de mammifères présentes dans les pays francophones ont maintenant leurs noms communs disponibles en français. Les lieux concernés sont: Belgique, Bénin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroun, Canada, Comores, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, États-Unis (Maine, Louisiane), France, Gabon, Guinée équatoriale, Haïti, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Mali, Monaco, Niger, Polynésie française, République centrafricaine, République démocratique du Congo, République dominicaine, Rwanda, Sainte-Lucie, Seychelles, Sénégal, Suisse, Tchad, Togo, et Vanuatu.

À l’heure de cet article, le français est l’une des 31 langues officiellement reconnues par iNaturalist, ce qui signifie que le reste du site est disponible en français. Mais cela ne se répercute pas sur les noms communs, qui sont ajoutés manuellement par les utilisateurs. De plus, la plupart des observations proviennent des États-Unis et d’autres pays anglophones, malgré leur soutien. Je soupçonne que cela pourrait (du moins en partie) être une conséquence du peu de noms communs disponibles dans d’autres langues.

Dans le cadre de ce projet, iNaturalist sera un peu plus accessible dans les pays francophones, du moins pour ceux à la recherche de mammifères.

La plupart des mammifères au Canada et en France avaient déjà leur nom français. La majorité du projet s’appliquait aux mammifères dans les pays africains. Malheureusement, je n’ai pas pu trouver de noms pour beaucoup de mammifères de la Dominique ou de Madagascar. S’il existe des guides ou des listes de contrôle en français pour ces deux pays, j’apprécierais un lien.

–Traduit par google. Commenté par @cmcheatle.–

English:

All mammal species occurring in French-speaking countries now have their common names available in French. The places affected are: Belgium, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Canada, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Equatorial Guinea, France, French Polynesia, Gabon, Haiti, Ivory Coast, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Mali, Monaco, Niger, Rwanda, Saint Lucia, Senegal, Seychelles, Switzerland, Togo, United States (Maine, Louisiana), and Vanuatu.

At the time of this post, French is one of 31 languages officially supported by iNaturalist, meaning the rest of the site is available in French. But this does not carry over to the common names, which are manually added by users. Additionally, most Observations come from the United States and other English-speaking places despite the support. I suspect this may (at least in part) be a consequence of having so few common names available in other languages.

In carrying out this project, iNaturalist will hopefully be a little more accessible within French-speaking countries, at least among those looking for mammals.

Most mammals in Canada and France already had their French names available. The majority of the project applied to mammals in African countries. Unfortunately, I could not find names for many mammals from Dominica or Madagascar. If any French guides or checklists exist for these two countries, I would appreciate a link.

Primary name resources:

1 Like

Much appreciated.

1 Like

Great!
How was it done? Some kind of “batch”-adding as with obs?

1 Like

Alas, if only… No, I switched my language of preference to “French” and manually combed through the checklist of each place. A method of adding names in mass has been discussed somewhere else on this forum and I really hope it gets implemented in the future. It would make curatorial work like this less tedious.

1 Like

Oh wow, thank you so much for your good work! Makes one appreciate curators work much more.

How do you go to checklists? So far I’ve been adding names one by one as the observations come up in my area.

Every officially-recognized Place on iNaturalist (continents, countries, provinces, counties) has a corresponding Checklist of organisms that occur there. You can view it on the main page for a Place. On the example below (Australia), I circled the link to its Checklist in red.

1 Like

There is a bulk add process, but only available to site staff. Do a search for a thread with Norwegian in the title for details. If you have access to a master list of Kazakh names you can get it loaded for you.

1 Like

thanks! i was already offered bulk-addition of missing species, nice to know it can be done with names also. gonna try to work out central asia.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.