Hi there. When adding observations and including Observation Field entries, eg Count, all looks good as the observation uploads, but when I check the observation after it’s uploaded, the Field entry is not included. I’ve been uploading Field information to many of my observations and this is the first time I’ve had this glitch. I first noticed it today when I added the observation to a Project and got the project reject message during the upload because the required field wasn’t filled out - which I had done! Now I have to go back into the obs and add the fields & project again. Time-consuming.
I’ve just discovered all my observations from yesterday are also missing the field info I added.
This happens to me using the app. I can’t add fungi observations to the Fungimap project during upload due to this issue (I have to switch to a PC and manually add them to the project later).
I encounter this often, but it’s because I forget to save the field after entering it in the bulk uploader (browser). For instance, I will add a field for accession number, enter the number, and then click on the info tab again to mark as cultivated, finally I go to projects tab and add it to my project. Everything works ok when I upload, except the accession field isn’t present on the observation. In my case it’s just that I didn’t save the entry for the field after entering the data into it!
I upload obs individually and this hasn’t happened before. Over 15,000 obs. It might be a glitch? Is that the correct technical term :-)
I don’t use the app, only a laptop/website to upload obs, and this hasn’t happened before. Thanks, though.
yeah, I think if it is a one off thing with no apparent reproduce-able cause, then the correct technical term would be glitch. Either that or system-wide meltdown… I always get the two mixed up :)
This may be related to this problem - https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/observations-failed-to-add-to-habitats-s-afr-project-in-web-uploader/8682
and in extreme cases, this problem:
which causes observations to not index and look as if they haven’t uploaded at all.
Yep, looks like the same problem, but the added Fields info fails to be included in the observation upload regardless of whether I’m including a Project or not. Seems to be a problem with the Observation Fields itself. Still not working today.
@tiwane has this bug/fault been identified yet?
I’m experiencing what I expect is the same bug. I tag my photos with field information on my computer before uploading to the iNat website. I’ve been churning through a batch of photos today and just realised that none of them have the observation fields properly processed. They’re still just sitting there in the tags (e.g., “Roadkill=yes” is coming through as a tag but not been turned into the appropriate observation field entry).
Looking back, this was working fine on the observations I uploaded five days ago, but has not been working on any of my observations from yesterday or today.
Same for me, Jon. The problem started about 3 days ago.
A friend who is not on the forum is also having this issue currently with “Insect Life Stage” not loading in a batch upload from a computer.
Yep, same here. Uploaded 15 on January 19 using same desktop computer and browser as usual; tags all added but neither fields nor annotations were extracted from the tags as they had on January 15 and every previous upload.
Just one example: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/37742488
@pleary Any help?
I just checked (optimistically) but the web upload is still broken. @tiwane, any update?
I had the same problem with 2 bulk uploads yesterday. The first time for me, too. I assumed I had failed to enter something properly, but it was very odd as I have been doing this work routinely almost everyday for 18 months, without a failure of this sort.
Sorry, catching up after a trip to Singapore and Malaysia. I can replicate, will file a bug report.
This problem is related to https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/observations-failed-to-add-to-habitats-s-afr-project-in-web-uploader/8682 insofar as I caused it while trying to improve obs field upload for @karoopixie: we were uploading a lot of unnecessary data, so my theory was that something there may have been related to her issues uploading lots of stuff over a relatively slow connection. However, while I thought my solution was submitting only the necessary data, it was actually submitting no data at all.
Sorry about that.
I have a fix queued up and hope to release it this afternoon… when I will no doubt introduce even more problems.
Ok, released what I hope is a fix. Please let me know if it’s still broken. Or, you know, what else I broke.