Observations aren't loading even when the internet is stable

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): android

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About): 1.28.10 (563)

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

This has been happening for a pretty long time when I’m identifying observations. When I swipe to see the next observation, it always happens that the image doesn’t load, so I have to go back and click again on the observation so that the image and everything else load.

1 Like

Does it usually happen after you’ve done a fair mount of identifying? I suspect it might be a memory issue but it’s tough to know without more details.

The next time this happens, can you please send us log files? To send log files, go to the About tab in the app and tap three times on the version number. You will then have the option to email the log files to us.

1 Like

Sometimes, it does happen after i identify a fair amount of observations. But generally, it happens immediately after I start…

Thanks - did you sent log files? I don’t see any emails with log files from you.

1 Like

I did.

OK, got them. I’ll take a look.

I do see a lot of low memory errors in the log, but also some other errors. What search are you using in Explore, and are you mostly just swiping between observations, or going back to results a lot?

I mostly swipe between the observations.

What do you mean?

I assume you’re using the Explore tab in the app to find observations to identify - is that correct? If so, what are you searching for, such as taxa, place, etc?

I search for Vertebrates in Argentina.

I went to the Explore tab, searched for vertebrates in Argentina, tapped don the first observation and then did a lot of swiping, with some identifying and annotating. Also tried it with California vertebrates, where I could add more IDs. Could not replicate in either case, I’m sorry. Maybe some specific details are missing?

There isn’t much else to add. This happens with the app. I don’t use the website much so I can’t talk about that.

I have the same issue. Its always been around. Sometimes it happens immediately after start. Mostly it happens if you use the app for a while and swipe through many observations. The loading times then get longer and longer runtil it doesnt load anything.
It doesnt seem to be specific to any search.

1 Like


Probably a memory issue, then. Which devices do you use? It wasn’t an issue with my Pixel 3A, but as I only use that phone for testing, it’s pretty free of apps.

I use my Samsung Galaxy A01.

OK, I suspect this is a RAM issue. The Galaxy A01 has 2 GB of RAM, and the Pixel 3A (which I’m using) has 4 GB of RAM so I’d expect your device to run out of memory before mine would. Unfortunately the Explore page in the app makes some really big API calls that take up a lot of RAM, and that’s exacerbated by loading a lot of observations in a session. I don’t think there’s anything we can do about it now - the Explore page in the app isn’t made for identifying lots of observations, and until we transition to API v2, the API calls will be quite large.

1 Like

Thanks anyway for your help!

1 Like