Region-specific names not show in iOS 14.2 app

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): iOS 14.2

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About): 3.06 build 610

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: general feed of my observations

Screenshots of what you are seeing:

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.): Common names of organisms shown for wrong locale. I am in Australia using iNaturalistAU and these plants have Australian-specific common names, yet the generic English names are shown (which happen to be NZ-specific, but that’s another story). My profile is set to not show common names at all, but the app does not respect this either.

Step 1: open app

Step 2: select ‘Me’ tab

Step 3: names are shown for the wrong region

What region is your phone set to?

Region = Australia
Languages = English & Spanish.

1 Like

Looks related to a recent change, which has since been rolled back. Are you seeing the Australian names now?

https://github.com/inaturalist/iNaturalistAPI/issues/89#issuecomment-740142965

No, I’m still seeing NZ names shown in preference to Australian ones. I still have v3.0.6, build 610, my phone is not showing pending updates for the app.

The update was on the server side, an app update isn’t necessary. Did you refresh your observations and/or sign out and sign back in? That might be needed.

I had to sign out and sign back in again, and this fixed the problem.

1 Like