Requests exceed Bubble of joy

Could somebody please tell me how to access notifications/requests that exceed the dozen or so that come up in the bubble of joy. I’ve looked at every button on my homepage and done a search, but I still cannot find it. It’s probably really obvious, so apologies in advance. I’m using PC’s, Windows Edge and Google chrome.

1 Like

Could you please tell what Bubble of joy is?

3 Likes

i was wondering the same. It sounds wonderful though. Do you mean the dashboard page?

4 Likes

The whole catastrophe unscrolls on your dashboard (including the - You have already unsubscribed to this - so why is it still here?)

4 Likes

If it’s really about notifications you get, there’s a button under all shown to show more or you point mouse on profile icon and click the first option there to just see all notifications you got over time.

the Dashboard on the website is not in great shape but my understanding is the iNat crew plans to just redo it completely soon.

3 Likes

I think the “Bubble of Joy” is the speech bubble at the top right of the page, were the notifications come in.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s it. I saw referred to a while ago as the ‘bubble of joy’, loved it, and assumed everyone called it that!

3 Likes

That is my problem. When I go to my Dashboard, I cannot find anything to direct me to notifications. I’m clearly missing something. I just need to know what to click on so the catastrophe unfolds.

1 Like

If it makes any difference, I’m using iNat.ca. I’ve gone back to my homepage, clicked on ‘all observations’ and wound up back in the same place.

in the Android app, and I believe the iOS app, too, the Activity feeds will allow you to easily find new and old updates to observations you’re following due to identifications and comments.

it won’t show other notifications like mentions, faves, flags, etc., but if you’re just interested in identifications and comments, then that’s a good way to get them in one spot once the BOJ has expired, without having to dig through everything else that pops up on the website home page.

if you don’t have a smartphone or prefer seeing this kind of information on a larger screen, then i made something a couple of weeks ago which may be helpful (at least until notifications have been revamped). see: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/is-there-an-easy-way-to-open-all-notifications/25913/35.

i like this term. except it does not give me joy for reasons you state… i like the engagement but the bubble is not very easy to navigate. I believe there is an intent by iNat staff to overhaul this too.

4 Likes

I forget the number but when you click on the speech bubble it will only show a certain number of notification details below. I thought it was 200 but maybe it’s only 20 or something. I thought it was a glitch once when I had hundreds of notifications after being off internet for a while and I kept clicking on it and refreshing the page and the number beside the bubble was only going down by a fraction each time instead of completely disappearing.

1 Like

I agree, it’s about 200 or 250 it shows as max at once from my experience.

1 Like

I have tried that - and yes I believe it is 12 - and I have clicked on ‘all updates’ to no effect. I just go back to my Dashboard page. It’s not a big deal. I rarely get over 12 requests, but every now and then a couple slip through. I have started opening each new one in a new tab, but if I have more than the bubble of joy has room for, I can’t find them.

I have only seen about 12 - 15 at one time. It’s not a big problem for me, though!

There’s a button under first few shown to exceed the list.

1 Like

Oh, I can’t say I’ve ever seen that. My screens just say ‘see Dashboard’.

I would like to thank everyone for their help. I remain mystified, but it is likely my misunderstanding than the program’s! It is nice to have a community.

Because you don’t get too many to show that. It’s 20+ I think when it shows, but I can’t remember.

1 Like