I wish that iNaturalist had a way to sort observations first by species and second by date observed

I have a practice of trying to photograph the same species in different stages of its life cycle. This especially applies to wild flowers. I would like to have a way to show these observations over time next to each other so it would be easy for the viewer to note the progression of its life cycle. To do this, I would first have to sort observations by species and then to sort this list by date observed. Could this capability be added to iNaturalist in a future update of the app?

5 Likes

I agree- I go between casual to non casual very quickly, and I go one many trips across the states, and I wish I could organize things in folders so that it’s easily navigation.

1 Like

I realize your request is related to the app but, if I’m understanding you correctly, this is something that can be done on the website:

Your Observations - (type species name) - Filters

The default (Sort by) is descending order but you can change that to ascending order via the prompts in the middle column, or switch to a set of dates or months using the prompts in the right column.

4 Likes

There’s a keyword feature, which might help with what you want. If you were to add a keyword, say plant0001, to every observation of a particular plant (and plant0002 to the next individual, and so on) then when you click on a keyword, it will display all your observations of that particular plant, which can of course be sorted by date order.

4 Likes

Thank you for your reply. What you suggest is certainly a thing I could do for an individual species that I want to compare. You will note that the “Sort By” window lists three possibilities, “Date Observed”, “Date Added”, and “Faves”. I want “Species” to be included in that window. I want others, who may be viewing my observations, to be able to select to see them that way.

1 Like

If you have a request for a change to how the app or site works you can use the template in the Feature Requests category.

1 Like

See also this thread for linking a series of observations with the field “Similar Observation Set” https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/using-the-field-similar-observation-set-for-linking-observations-of-lepidoptera-when-raising-on/1018

2 Likes

There is an existing feature request about sorting by species with some info about some workarounds for this:
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/sort-observations-alphabetically-by-species-and-place/5011

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.