The done button does not respond at all after I make a taxon suggestion

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/38095029

1 Like

I have tried switching off my computer and restarting, this did work yesterday but not today. I use Chrome on Windows 10 on a Laptop. I have to use the compare tool to get suggestions made. here is plenty of space in hard disks. Everything else works fast and well.

1 Like

Still not working for you? I was just able to add an ID.

This usually happens when you have not selected the taxon from the suggestions that come up. The “done” button only becomes active when you have selected the taxon.
Once you have selected it, the taxa thumbnail copies over the mag-glass icon

It is particularly easy to get caught out by this when you have entered the full species name, or enough of it so that there is only one suggestion in the list. Then it looks like it has been selected enough to continue, but you still have to click it to make it “set” the taxa!
at this point clicking Save does nothing, because the taxa has not been clicked on (mag-glass still showing)

4 Likes

I backspace till the list comes up, then click my choice in the list. That seems to convince iNat.

1 Like

I don’t remember the exact circumstances, but I experienced something similar. I think it happened after I chose an ID, but then either clicked away or opened a new tab or something before clicking “Done”. Then clicking “Done” produced no result. Fixed after I refreshed the page and then re-entered and re-selected the taxon I wanted.

1 Like

There used to be a bug where going to a different tab or window and then returning would cause the focus to be re-set to the taxa field, which unset the taxa (but still showed it as set). In those cases reclicking always reset it, but it was not obvious to need to do that. I experimented with it when I posted above, and it looks to be fixed, so I didn’t bother commenting on it!

1 Like

yep, that sounds about right to me.

1 Like

Thanks @tiwane its working fine today. I wonder if we could be warned well in advance if the iNat website is having a snooze, perhaps for upgrade. Someone somewhere in the world in a different timezone may have got people together for an iNat training seminar at the time of the iNat snooze. Perhaps a message could be sent to ALL message boxes very well in advance warning people of when iNat will be snoozing ! Then iNat training seminars will have a chance to work around the upgrading time or cancel meetings…Thanks.

Its erratic. @tiwane I reported that it work this morning 31,1,20. on this page, but now in afternoon ( Botswana time) it doesnt work. the problem comes and goes !

I’ve experienced a similar thing - I add the ID, then comment on why I think (or don’t believe) it is the correct ID. When I click send, it won’t. I find refreshing the page usually works, but COPY AND SAVE ANY COMMENTS YOU MAY HAVE MADE. Then enter the iNat id and paste your comments into the space. If not, 15 (or more) minutes work can be reduced to a blank slate. The ID is easy to replace - your reasoning is not!

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, this banner should have been up on everyone’s dashboard since January 27th, with a link that showed when the downtime would be in your timezone. If you have suggestions or questions about scheduled downtime notices, please start a new topic in General.

As far as the “Done” button goes, I think @alecc and @kiwifergus described most situations I’ve come across that might trigger this. Without knowing exactly what you’ve done when adding the ID, it’s difficult to diagnose, unfortunately.

3 Likes