Translation problems (Russian)

Alright, then it’s fine that way, time can be seen clearly, thank you!

@fffffffff, @katya is proposing that we format dates like 14 November 2022 as “14 11 2022” in order to get around the issue with different month name suffixes. Does that make sense in Russian (or Polish, @konrad_k)? That would be confusing to me as an English speaker.

Also, just so I understand the problem, it should be “15 февраля 2021” because it refers to a specific day in the month, but if I wanted to talk about the month of February without a day it would be “Февраль,” right? There’s some software that would let us deal with that on some parts of the site, but I haven’t found any for dealing with it everywhere (though this looks promising).

Yes, that certainly would work! day/month/year (slashes or dots between each) here.
Yes, the regular name of the month is февраль (without the capital letter), with dates words change easily with the addition of one ending for any date, so it’s января, февраля, марта, апреля, мая, июня, июля, августа, сентября, октября, ноября, декабря if you ever choose to add those!

I do not think that the separator for day, month, year should be a forward slash.
For Russia, if Marina knows, a dot is more applicable.
Result must be for example 08.07.2023

The native speakers can tell you best what looks right to them, but I figured I might be able to help explain what’s going on from the English perspective. A way to think of why the month changes sometimes is because when you’re writing 15 February it’s actually “15 [of] February”. English has lost most of our case endings so we don’t notice it, but the “of” triggers a different case ending in languages with inflection. Just talking about February in general will be a different grammatical structure so it doesn’t necessarily trigger the endings to change.

Also in case it helps (and I’ve seen this in some Russian entomology articles, too): if your dates are only numbers many naturalists use Roman numerals to avoid ambiguity with the month-day problem. So your example would be 14.xi.2022

In my message you can see mention of both, slashes are widely used on different websites (and in regular writing) and people are used to them.

As i am native Russian till now, I confirm my previous opinion.
Never see somewhat about tristanmcknight says because it requires switching the keyboard layout.
If we make the interface for Russian, any Russian person will understand correctly if the day comes first, then the month, then the year.
In addition, I consider it important not to burden the team of Naturalist with programming feminine-masculine-neuter and word endings in different cases.

It may be important to you, for others it may be important to read correct text, iNat staff can choose what is their priority. There’re workarounds to not use any different endings, and that is what was proposed earlier and that is what I suggested before for other lines, just to rewrite them so they are both accurate and don’t require additional coding.

It’ link for Marina
How to write the date correctly?
http://new.gramota.ru/spravka/letters/90-data

This site operates with the financial support of the Ministry of Digital Development, Communications and Mass Media of the Russian Federation

When writing the date, Arabic numerals are used (a pair of digits for the number, a couple of digits for the month and four digits for the year), the separator is a dot:

My answer wasn’t even about the date, what’s it’s all for, you start with some passive aggressive phrases and now this? I used slashes in an example of order, never in my comment I said it’s how I want to see it, everybody here uses both variations and my husband who works in govermental organization can confirm, slash is in use and nothing stops iNaturalist from using it, it’s not an official document, it’s a date of posts, even though its usage wasn’t even discussed before you started it.

Not without any separator other than space. But personally, I think the names of the months in timestamps not being inflected for cases is a minor issue.

I understand Konrad, but if we leave the name of the month in full text, it would be more correct to write March, 14, 2023, that is, rearrange the month and day, and then the month will always be in the nominative case.
However, I do not think that it is worth going to such tricks.
I leave the decision of this issue to the discretion of @kueda.

It sounds like everyone agrees dot-separated dates make sense in Russian, so I’m going to go with “14.11.2022” for the 14th of November, 2022. @konrad_k, if you would like help making a similar change in Polish, please let me know.

1 Like

Is this universal?

Mixed Roman and Arabic numerals are sometimes used in numeric representations of dates (especially in formal letters and official documents, but also on tombstones). The month is written in Roman numerals, while the day is in Arabic numerals: “4.VI.1789” and “VI.4.1789” both refer unambiguously to 4 June 1789.

Римские цифры широко употребляли в СССР при указании даты для обозначения месяца года, например: 11/III-85 или 9.XI.89, это можно увидеть на многих архивных документах тех времён. Подобным образом, через косую черту, в том числе записывали дату урока в классных журналах, например, 24/II. Для указания дат жизни и смерти на надгробиях часто использовали особый формат, где месяц года также обозначали римскими цифрами,

Nah, as I said already, it’s a minor issue in my opinion, and it doesn’t bother me much. There are other, more glaring grammar related issues that I’d rather they were addressed.

1 Like

@optilete, thanks for your interest in the issue.
https://yandex.ru/q/question/pochemu_v_istorii_pishut_rimskie_tsifry_v_faf2e72f/?answer_id=127972

Roman numerals were widely used in the USSR when indicating the date to indicate the month of the year, for example: 11 / III-85 or 9.XI.89, this can be seen on many archival documents of those times. To indicate the dates of life and death on tombstones, a special format was often used, where the month of the year was also indicated by Roman numerals.
I work with archival documents of past centuries, and often see such a designation there.

However, NOW everything is different, there is a state standard - GOST:
https://fortress-design.com/kak-pisat-daty/

Two methods of writing dates are used, stipulated by GOST R 6.30-2003 - digital and verbal-digital.
When writing the date, Arabic numerals are used (a pair of digits for the number, a couple of digits for the month and four digits for the year), the separator is a dot:
An alphanumeric date is also possible: “5 марта 1999 г., 1 сентября 2007 г.”

As far as you can see, the problem is the end of the text indication of the month - not “Март” but “марта”, not “Сентябрь” but “сентября”

Just throwing in my two cents - my impression is that hardly anybody in natural sciences really cares about GOST and Roman numerals are in fact still used in academic writing to avoid the date-month confusion. Especially so in entomology, as tristanmcknight notes above.

Personally, I agree that correct translation of months is a minor issue. Dots, slashes, incorrect noun case, even untranslated English - everything will be understood even by a seven-year old kid as long as the order is day-month-year.

2 Likes

I will add that in the age of digital technologies, an extra click (switching the RUS-LAT keyboard layout) becomes important. Another reason to use Arabic numerals.

A possible solution to the problem would be creating separate strings for the names of the months to use in the timestamps. But it’s probably not worth the trouble.

2 Likes