Upon clicking upload, old observations are also updated

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Android

App version number: 1.17.16

Screenshots of what you are seeing:

Description of problem:
This happens quite frequently, but only now I was able to document it: When uploading new observations (automatic upload is turned off), sometimes older observations change their color status from white to green, indicating an upload - although my understanding is that when you edit older, already uploaded, observations, then they would automatically become a green status.

Any explanation for this?
My fear is that post-upload edits using the iNat-website, e.g. adjusting the location when the GPS signal was off, are reverted by the app in this process, or can this possibility be excluded?

1 Like

That is true. See Bug report https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/android-app-overwrites-corrected-name-on-website/2892

I have had a similar experience where I changed the identification of a plant on the web site from what it was when I added the observation from the App. The next time I uploaded new observations, the App apparently changed the ID back to the wrong ID (my original ID using the App). I was oblivious until the curator of botany at the museum where I volunteer asked me why I thought my ID was correct. I thought he was confused until I looked at the observation which showed I had changed the ID, but all I had done was use the App to upload new, unrelated observations. I hope it hasn’t happened again, but sometimes I wonder if it does happen and I am just oblivious to it.