Variant on Earlier Report: Common Name Change

Issue: Common name switches mid-observation via iPhone app from AI presentation screen to sync function for the same binomial. Not impactful, but additional data about a reported problem.

Platform. iOS 13.4.1 ( iPhone 8)

App version number 2.8.7 build 558

Browser, NA

**URLs **: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/45481213

Screenshots of what you are seeing

Description of problem

During observation photo upload; “what did you see” AI returns “Dog Sick Slime Mold” Mucilago crustacea. and “Dog Vomit Slime Mold”. Fuligo septica

When M. crustacea is selected it changes to “Dog Vomit Slime Mold” even before uploaded; binomial remains unchanged. (“Dog sick” scans like British English v. N. American).

Do you have anything entered on your profile settings under “Prioritize common names used in this place.”? I wonder if Dog Sick Slime Mold comes up because it’s the default common name, but Dog Vomit Slime Mold is listed as the name for the US, so if you prioritized US common names it might decide to switch to that one once you selected the observation. I just tried updating my preferences and added US to that field, and the default common name on the page for M. crustacea changed from Dog Sick Slime Mold to Dog Vomit Slime Mold.

1 Like

Yeah, I have my settings set for Canadian names, so occasionally I’ll notice on the app and the website where one place says American Beaver and another place says Canadian Beaver. Or for example if I have an observation of Acer negundo open, iNat calls it Manitoba Maple but my browser (Firefox) labels it Boxelder.

1 Like