Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.
Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Does not matter
App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About): N/A
Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : N/A
URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?project_id=89326&taxon_id=199024&place_id=any&verifiable=any
Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):
Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):
We have a project to collect all the bees in Washington state. From the page, when we sort by species we discovered that many people are adding eastern North American bees. While range extensions are not impossible, (my Andrena milwaukiensis is a perfect example), I believe that what is happening is this: The eastern bees are fewer and better documented than the western bees. The CV “know” more about the east and it is using them to try to ID our bees out west–consequently we are writing multiple people to check the range before choosing the names.
I tried looking up adding features about range and anything I tried was closed. These suggestions are sometimes out of bound by half a continent. The CV ought to show the genus alone, maybe a subgenus for bees that are that far away. I guess it would be a feature to ask it to say that this is a range extension and to check the comparison carefully…
Nomada in particular are a mess taxonomically and will be unless a taxonomist comes along that wants to do that for their life work. We have bees in our collection named Sp. 1, Sp. 2 through Sp. 12, plus some others with A, B, etc. It is really going to be pretty much impossible to ID them out west to species and get 100 bees for the CV to learn them. It is a conundrum. Having the ranges. limit the suggestions would help.
However Bumble bee ranges are much more defined and we keep getting over-generalizations for those as well. Yellow male Bombus are the worst for getting named the wrong things. We made an Observation Field to sort Pyrobombus, but then need to train people to use it. It would help if something could pop up on the yellow-faced photos to share that.