Reposting from the Google Group (this is the main thread I think: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/inaturalist/9CmPKI-noko), because it still happens regularly to me (on updated app version 1.11.11).
When creating observations with the Android App, sometimes one of the following will happen:
- One observation on the app will convert to several on the website, where one has the photos, and another has all the other information (location, ID etc.)
- Less commonly, some of the information will just be missing (e.g. the ID won’t save. I think this has also happened where e.g. location hasn’t saved for me, but I’m not 100% sure of that)
Sometimes the observation will still appear properly on the app (and any duplicates won’t show at all), or sometimes the app will show that it didn’t work properly. There is no way I’ve found to “repair” the observation, and the only way to fix is to delete all the offending observations and try again.
Unfortunately I still haven’t found a way to reproduce reliably. It does happen frequently, probably about 1 in 10 observations I make on the app.
What I’ve seen:
- I think this ONLY happens if photos are chosen separately from the camera app, but not if the app itself is used to take a photo.
- It may happen more on bad internet connections, but I’ve still had it happen when I’ve had good wifi
- It may be more likely if you select a photo, and then go back to the gallery again to add another photo. But this is neither necessary or sufficient conditions, and maybe a red herring.
- I think it happens more often on observations with more than one photo
I know admins were aware, posting to indicate that this is still happening and hoping that somebody has actually figured out what triggers it.
Here’s an example of one I never fixed, where three observations were created: