Can't see Chinese common names on Android

i tried looking a this a little more with fresh eyes, and i think i see several issues:

1. in my “sometimes i see Simplified common names” screenshot above, that actually shows a mix of Traditional and Simplified. the first record is Simplified, but the 5th item (Utricularia gibba) shows Traditional. i think what may be going on here is related to https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/android-app-does-not-load-top-left-image-under-main-screen-my-observations/17115. so that first record seems to get its common name in a different way than the rest of the records.
  2. in my “sometimes i see English common names” screenshot above, what seems to be happening is that after the first 100 observations, all names show up as English.
  3. from the 2nd to 100th observations, there’s something else going on, but i still don’t fully understand it. it might but it might be what is described in https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/chinese-simplified-common-names-dont-show-in-the-suggestion/17732/6, at least in part.
  4. i notice that if i change the language or common name location preference in the app, it doesn’t always get reflected back in the website:
    a. the Android app has a “Chinese (Hong Kong)” language option which the website lacks. if i choose that in the app, the website seems to interpret it as if i selected “default” in the website. instead, it should probably be interpreted as “Chinese (Traditional)”, or else the website needs to recognize a “Chinese (Hong Kong)” option.
    b. the Android app has a “Use my Device Language” language option which the website lacks. if i choose that in the app, the website still seems to use the language that was previously selected. this might be okay, but it seems like it should be an entirely separate setting from the language selection.
  5. i notice that if i change the language preference in the website and then i open the app, the app sometimes crashes, and languages shown in the app often seem to be mixed. for example, if i switch to English from Chinese, then a header might be English, some labels might be Chinese, and taxon names might be Chinese. if you apply the language in the app directly, then the language seems to be applied more consistently.
  6. if i have the app open and change the language preference in the website, and then check the settings in the app, the new language preference will be shown in the preferences, and then if i apply the new changes, the app will show the new language. however, if i change only the taxon name location preference, and visit the app settings, the new location preference does not show up in the app settings. (on the other hand, if i change the location preference in the app, it will get applied to the website on the next refresh of any page and shows up in the web settings screen.)
  7. if i select Traditional as the language, then in the app settings, language preference selection will be shown with an extra partial /b> tag at the end – for example “Global/b>”.
2 Likes