CSS for Website addition listing "something" as observation name

I think there are a few different things going on here.

I’m pretty sure the first observation is labeled “something” because the widget uses a field called species_guess to populate the name, and as has been discussed a number of times before, the species_guess is often not what one expects. In this case, the species_guess is blank, so iNat uses “something”.

Of the 6 observations added yesterday, 5 of them have older observed_on dates – you added the observations yesterday, but you observed the organisms in 2019. Your widget is sorted by observed_on dates, so those wouldn’t appear at the top of your list.

The sixth missing observation is different – it was observed and submitted July 11, 2022, so should be at the top of the list. I have a suspicion that there is a geoprivacy-related bug here. I think the widget runs on the same code as inaturalist.org/observations/username, which was reconfigured somewhat recently to only include observations with open geoprivacy. If you look at your page (while not logged in as you), that observation is missing from the list despite being on the map.

There are a few other observations that also show up on the map, but not in the list. When I checked, they all have “open” taxon_geoprivacy, whereas the ones that are showing up correctly have “null” taxon_geoprivacy.

5 Likes