Pictures upload failing when creating a new observation via web browser

that warning shouldn’t matter. it’s a little strange that you aren’t getting any errors.

it’s hard to troubleshoot without much information. if you have browser extensions or virus stuff, try turning that off, restart your browser, and then try to load again.

if that doesn’t work, and if you’re not loading directly from your machine’s hard drive (for example, if you’re uploading from a connected mobile device or a cloud storage location or something like that), then maybe make sure you’ve properly permissioned everything. (or try copying the files to your machine’s hard drive first and the upload from that.)

if that doesn’t work, maybe try a different browser with all extensions and other stuff like that turned off.

if that works, it’s probably something with your first browser. i would probably try clearing your old browsing data / history. if that doesn’t work, you could even do a reset / refresh of the browser to reset it to factory condition.

but if neither browser works, then it’s probably something with your machine or your internet connection maybe. you could try using a different machine, and if the other machine works, then maybe you can try doing a disk cleanup on the first machine to delete all the temporary files.

if neither machine works, then it might be something with your connection. easiest thing there would be to try a different connection if you can.

3 Likes

Thank you, I appreciate your list of possible steps.

2 Likes

If none of what pisum suggested helps, then maybe the problem lies in photos themselves.

I’m not sure if I have this stuff or how to turn it off, so I didn’t attempt this step.

The photos are on the hard drive.

I tried using another browser, and another machine, and got the same problem. My usual browser is Firefox on a Lenovo laptop running Windows 11. Using Chrome on that same machine doesn’t work either. It also did not work in Chrome on a Dell running Windows 11.

Although opening the developer tools console in Firefox didn’t tell me any errors, Chrome gave me several. “Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET” appears over and over again, I assume once for every photo that failed. I also get a handful of errors along the lines of “observations-uploader-webpack-46cabb9d63326a030e848ef676d4e3e85414f91bc0963954939bc524ad107573.js:768 POST https://www.inaturalist.org/photos net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET” and one “Failed to load resource: net::ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT”

I have yet to try a different connection, but I suspect the problem lies here. I would have to visit someone else’s house to test this, I guess?

I tested the same set of photos multiple times and different photos fail each time. The total number of failed photos also varies.

2 Likes

ok. the first error is similar to the one others have reported, and the second does seem like it could be related. seems like a bad connection, or maybe some sort of setting on your particular machine.

sure, or a business or library with public wifi or something like that. that could be the quickest way to rule out a problem on your machine vs your home network.

if it’s your machine, you could try some of the suggestions here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-errsslbadrecordmacalert-and/8a6e2e58-a766-4666-a6b7-67d3771154ee.

if it’s your connection, that’s a bigger can of worms unfortunately.

one other thought is that you could try connecting directly via a cable to your home router instead of via wifi, and if that fixes the problem, then you’ve isolated the problem to something related to wifi (could be hardware, could be interference, could be settings).

2 Likes

Good news, that solved the problem.

2 Likes

this is good to know.

if this was the source of the issues in your case, then it’s possible that the other cases in this thread can be resolved by addressing wifi problems. if you figure out what specifically is wrong with your wifi and how to resolve it, please let us know, since that may help others.

(maybe there’s a lot of interference from neighbors, in which case you could use a wifi analyzer app to see what channels are being used by the neighbors, and then switch to an open channel. or maybe the signal is weak, in which case you might just need to move closer to your router…)

I’ve been experiencing the same thing this evening. Possibly it’s simply a problematic internet connection…?

I’ve never heard of interference before, but that kind of makes sense because all of us in this building have the same internet provider. I’m sure it’s not a matter of physical proximity to my router because I usually sit quite close to it.

Would be nice to have some sort of resolution in the works for this, it’s becoming so much of a drag that it’s preventing me from uploading in general. I used to be able to get a couple or a few hundred observations uploaded on my free day, but these days I’m barely able to even get 50 up.

I cannot find any issues with the internet or Wi-Fi connection, and even on different computers using different Wi-Fi in other places (like hotels while travelling, or other people’s homes) the issue remains. The uploader simply just needs to stop giving up on an upload immediately if it sees some kind of “problem”, that has to be a doable fix.

1 Like

if you open up your browser’s developer tools, what kinds of console errors do you see logged?

It is usually the “connection reset” error.

But it may also be “Bad record mac alert”.

ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT almost definitely means there’s a problem on your end (or at least that changing something on your end can resolve the issue). if you can and haven’t tried already, try connecting your machine directly to your router using a cable. chances are that will clear up the issues. you can search the web for tutorials on how to troubleshoot this kind of error so that you won’t need to always be plugged in via ethernet. good tutorials will include notes about MTU settings and maybe 4-8 other things to try.

I don’t experience problems with anything else, and none of the router or internet tests detect any breaks. So I don’t know why iNaturalist is the sole issue here.

Regardless, I suppose this won’t be changed since it’s such a minority problem for people and it’s seemingly just me it impacts in any big way. But if it could have some way to “retry” an upload, that would still save massive amounts of time in general, even for people of whom it’s a rarer issue.

i’m not sure what else to tell you. as far as i know, anything MAC related is going to be a problem between your router and your computer or mobile device. you may not like that answer, but i think the fastest way for you to resolve the problem is to figure out for yourself what the issue is on your end. as i noted earlier, the fastest thing you can do to try to rule a lot of things out, if you can, is to plug your machine into your router directly and try to do an upload.

At this point I’m just referring to any developments in the uploader that prevent me from having to scroll through a folder of 400 photos to find the specific one that failed, try again, and so on for a good chunk of the observation page.

The uploader must be able to store the file path of the attempted upload and have an opportunity to either “retry” or not give out after the first apparent error. There are several platforms that give failed uploads several attempts before cutting it off, I’m sure iNat can do the same?

I’ve been having this exact same issue using Chrome and Firefox. I briefly was able to upload images from Chrome last week, but otherwise have been mostly unable to do so for the last two weeks. The photo appears to be uploading, while it says “uploading metadata”, even though the metadata information (date and time, at least) have already filled in. Then I get the “upload failed” image. I have tried deleting my cached images, but this doesn’t seem to have helped. I have a stable internet connection and use a PC, not a Mac.