Wrong language of common names in email

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website):
website, gmail

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings):

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) :
firefox, chrome, opera.

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:
Email

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

https://imgur.com/a/EsKXyV8

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):
My language in profile settings set as Lithuanian (before today was English) but In emails I see common names mixed in various languages: russian, german and other… (see screenshots).

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

1 Like

Thanks, we’ll take a look.

The daily update email code is pretty old, so it’s likely there’s something that needs to be updated.

I think it has something to do with the language settings of the last person to “touch” the observation with an ID? Fabien Piednoir and I work on some milkweed bug IDs, and so I regularly get French in my email.

The root cause is the same as this one – it’s using the field called “species_guess” instead of the localized common name. And the question of how the species_guess is getting set is still unresolved to my knowledge.

Each day I get an email from Inat. The language in that email is German: “Neue Aktualisierungen in den letzten 24 Std. von iNaturalist”. The captions of the previews are sometimes in very different, sometimes unreadable languages. If I click on the preview I get the observation with the correct German name (if available).
fuerinat

@ppinat I moved your report to this existing topic. Sorry it’s still unresolved, hopefully it can be fixed.