Anyone know good nature podcasts?

This Week in Parasitism is a good podcast. It’s known as TWiP. https://www.microbe.tv/twip/about/
Also, viruses are a part of nature too. This Week in Virology is nice. TWiV https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/

I enjoy the aforementioned thewildepisode podcast also.

1 Like

Wow there are so many great recs here to check out! My current favourite nature podcasts are Future Ecologies and Plastisphere.

• Future Ecologies is an excellent podcast that covers ecological and social issues of (mostly) the Pacific Northwest of North America, and how they interact. They focus a lot on Indigenous land management and conservation. It’s a really good mix of storytelling and science, and is actually very soothing to listen to despite sometimes covering some complex and/or heavy topics. Their series on kelp forests and fire management are my personal favourites, but everything else is also really good. Can’t recommend this one enough, even for people outside of the PNW.

• Plastisphere is a very interesting series on everything plastic. It covers the history of plastic pollution, manufacturing, bioplastics & biodegradable plastics… everything. It’s incredibly well researched and informative, but also fun and easy to listen to.

I think my favourite part about both of these is that they manage to tackle some pretty bleak but relevant topics in a very balanced way that feels motivational and informative, rather than just hopeless and depressing.

3 Likes

Yes, there are a lot of good links to check out! Much appreciated!

I don’t know if anyone here has an interest in semiosis/semiospheres in the natural world, but I recently started a podcast focused on cognitive mapping and the activity of semiosis in all levels of lifeforms. I also have a connection there to another great channel going very in depth into semiotic functions. To explore the podcast/channel there is an intro video at Synechism Center . I’m hard at work on Episode 5, ‘A Bird’s Eye View’. I’m hoping to publish it by the end of this month.

I just listened to the first episode of Naturally Adventurous today, with fairly low expectations since it seemed bird-heavy and I’m not at all a birder, but I really enjoyed it. On the second episode now, and I’m sure I’ll burn through all of them quickly. Especially in these days of limited travel, hearing these two birding guides tell stories from their adventures around the world is a fantastically soothing and inspiring way to spend time.

2 Likes

I just released a new podcast about wild cat conservation which you might be interested in. Each episode features a different species of wild cat and the people working on the front line to research and conserve them.

www.catsofthewild.com

3 Likes

My favorites include:

Herpetological Highlights (about reptiles)
Arthro-pod (about arthropods)

I think these have all been listed previously, but my regular rotation:

• In Defense of Plants
  • Future Ecologies
  • The Wild
  • BirdNote (also check out their recent special long-form series called Grouse)
  • American Birding Association Podcast
  • Urban Wildlife Podcast

Occasional listens:

• The Field Guides
  • Herpetological Adventures

I also started my own podcast - Nature’s Archive. It is interview based with a variety of subjects but centered on people and organizations who find non-traditional or otherwise inspiring ways to make a difference in the environment.

2 Likes

@naturesarchive: You mentioned “Herpetological Adventures” as an occasional listen – I couldn’t find a podcast with that name. Do you have a link for this one (or a corrected name)?

It is possible that the name has been changed. I listen to a podcast called Herpetological Highlights which could possibly be the same podcast.

I have found that BirdNote Presents is amazing and I am excited for the release of Threatened also by BirdNote. I have also developed a liking towards the American Birding Podcast.

I’ve Listened to a number of these produced by a Prof at York University in Toronto, Canada.

Nature’s Past Produced By the Network in Canadian History & Environment. (NiCHE)

https://niche-canada.org/naturespast/#:~:text=Nature’s%20Past%20is%20a%20Canadian,environmental%20history%20research%20in%20Canada.

Thanks Brain On Nature sounds right up my ally.

1 Like

OK, thanks. I do listen to Herpetological Highlights, and I didn’t want to be missing anything good in the herpetological realms.

Yes, Herpetological Highlights is the correct name. Sorry for the mistake.

1 Like

Howdy: I like “Wildlife, Cake and Cocktails”. Mostly Aussie stuff, but science and conservation issues are relevant to us all. T

1 Like

Fantastic (and organized) list! Thank you!

This is a phenomenal list! I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to many of the suggestions, and I still have many more to check out.

I was wondering if anyone has some additional recs in Spanish (español). I am hoping to strengthen my vocabulary and comprehension as a non-native speaker, so ones that supply a transcript to refer to would be ideal; however, I’m sure I can manage either way.

Desde ya, muchas gracias!

2 Likes

Nature Magic- A positive voice for nature- from Ireland
https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/nature-magic/id1507362651
Please subscribe and review us to help our reach!
Thank you
Mary

1 Like

Just found this podcast: Frog of the Week and I love it! Just two minutes per week. After listening to each episode I check on iNat to see if there are observations of the species. :frog:

3 Likes

I’m not sure if anyone has already said this, but Ologies is decent.

1 Like