Checklists download in random languages despite no changes to settings (seen in the Taxon Common Name field)

Platform: Windows 10 pro 64x updated

Browser: Chrome (most recent version)


Screenshots of what you are seeing:
Screenshot of the first download:

Screenshot of the replication of the result on the second attempt (different language/text result, still not correct)

Description of problem:

Two different downloads of the same checklist for the area done from the same computer minutes apart give the Taxon Common Name in different languages, neither of them English, which is what my computer, browser, iNat interface, and Excel are set to.

Downloaded and opened in Excel - see screenshots.

2 Likes same issue as Feature request. Later I found out it does not work for lists over 2000 items but works fine for small lists from around 800 species. So it is a bug, not a feature request.

1 Like

Are you saying you duplicated it, or are you asking me to duplicate it?

If it’s the latter, I already did before posting the bug report. That’s why there are two screenshots. The first was of the initial bug (downloading in a random language that is not any of the languages any of my settings have enabled), and the second is when I duplicated the results and got a second and completely different random language.


Just tried it a third time on a different computer now that I’m home after work.

Same results (random non-English names/text in the Taxon Common Name column):

1 Like

By creating this forum thread you duplicated it. But I found out it workes fine for small checklists but it does not work for checklists wiht e.g. over 2,000 items. Your list has 2,939 items. But you are right and is it a bug and not a feature reqest… I have the same results in Spanish, German, Italian and unreadable stuff, but it does not occur with small checklists.

Small list like this one works OK, so it is a bug and not a feature request:

You can also see that when the progress bar is in English when generating the file and not in the selected language of the GUI your checklist will not have correct common names.

1 Like

Just downloaded the CSV and here’s what I see in Apple Numbers (I don’t have Excel):

Probably won’t make a difference, but can you please email the CSV to

I’ll do that once I’m back in the office in a day or two.

1 Like

Hi Tiwane,

These have English names in taxon_common_name, which is wrong (in my case) but the should be dutch.