Option to always show GBIF data on maps

Hi!

It’s really great, that gbif data is now included in the distribution maps. However, it is necessary to always activate them.

Might it be possible to always show them? Would be very happy about such a feature, as this data adds great value!

Best wishes!
Ralph

don’t forget to vote for your own Feature Request ;)

2 Likes

Made an issue here: https://github.com/inaturalist/inaturalist/issues/3633

2 Likes

I’ve been using iNat for years and had no idea this feature existed, wow! +1 for making it a default (maybe a user setting that can be toggled off?)

I had no idea this feature existed. Apparently it’s only on the taxon page?

I’m fine with an option to always show GBIF data, so long as it doesn’t interfere with the option of always not showing GBIF data. If I want GBIF, I’ll go to GBIF, and I don’t go to GBIF. :-)

What about seeing the maps from SEINet while on iNat? That would be fun to integrate. Maybe I should request it :slightly_smiling_face:

I would be more likely to turn on SEINet in maps, but I’d still want to be able to turn it off. :-)

The github request I wrote was to make these choices “sticky” - so if you turn on GBIF observations, they’ll appear on every map until you turn them off. Then they’ll stay off until you turn them on again. Similar to the map tiles options on the site.

2 Likes

Excellent, thanks!

1 Like

OK, the GBIF map layer is now “sticky,” meaning that if you click to show it on one taxon page map, it will continue to appear for you on all other taxon page maps until you turn it off (then that setting will remain until you turn it back on again).

Thank, you volunteer dev rainhead!

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 21 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.